Individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or a related form of dementia often have sleep issues, experience anxiety and agitation. To relieve these symptoms caregivers may turn to over counter antihistamines (like Benadryl) and sleep aids (like Tylenol PM) In fact, these medications called anticholinergics have side effects that can worsen existinting Alzheimer’s or dementia symptoms. National Institute of Health
A recent article from DailyCaring offers information and advice to guide caregivers and those older adults who consider or use these medications. The article addressees:
- Why these medications cause dementia symptoms
- How they increase the risk of dementia
- Which medications are anticholinergics
- Common medical conditions and the anticholinergic medications typically used to treat them
- Common cognitive and physical side effects
- What to do if an older adult is currently taking these meds
As a dedicated dementia care specialist, when I find such articles to guide you, such as this one in DailyCaring I will keep you up to date.
Are you in need of dementia care information, guidance and local resources in your area? Would you like tolearn more about my services?
I’m here to help